Pages

Sunday 17 May 2015

Scrappy Quilts Galore in my future!

I have spent the last couple of days sorting through a huge box of scraps of every colour and size and trying to get them into some sort of order so I can actually use them. When you pay over $20 a metre in most quilt shops in Australia for good quality cotton quilting fabric your scrap basket becomes a rather expensive waste!
So with new blade in my rotary cutter, cutting mat, rulers, iron and starch spray (I've found Homebrand is the cheapest and best for getting out those stubborn creases) and various plastic containers for the different size pieces I set to work.

I tried the design I put on the previous blog but just couldn't get the Twin Sisters block to work correctly with smaller pieces so I've put that aside for the moment

I tried out a couple of designs in EQ7 to see how I would use the most awkward sizes, especially as I found a pile of untrimmed HSTs (half square triangles) that were crying out to be used.  and played with a block using the HSTs in the centre strip then rotating the blocks for a fun design. Using 3.5" squares I came up with this one.
Scrappy HST bock


 The block is made up of 6 x 3.5" squares with HSTs of the same size in the middle, then rotate alternate blocks. The border colour will change I'm sure depending on what fabrics I find in my stash at the end and the colours will certainly be very random throughout the quilt.  I think I prefer it to the Twin Sister design, what do you think?

Scrappy Lap Quilt using HSTs

2 comments:

  1. Love your design! A great way to use up squares and HST's. I have some HST's too, buried in a box, for not to talk about 1.5" strips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good Steph! Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete